- I am scared that…
- The problem I’m having that I don’t want to think about is…
- The incredible opportunity that I’m shy to think about is…
- I fucking hate…
for making art:
- what do you wanna express in X?
- what of X do you wanna express?
- what do you wanna express X as?
- what do you wanna express X with?
1. Who are you and whom do you love? 2. Where did you come from / how did you arrive? 3. How will you begin? 4. How will you live now? 5. What is the shape of your body? 6. Who was responsible for the suffering of your mother? 7. What do you remember about the earth? 8. What are the consequences of silence? 9. Tell me what you know about dismemberment. 10. Describe a morning you woke without fear. 11. How will you / have you prepare (d) for your death? 12. And what would you say if you could?
- What experiences light me up?
- What sparked my curiosity as a kid?
- What ignites my sense of pleasure?
- What does excitement feel like in my body?
What are you here to do? And would you sit with me again?
audre lorde questionnaire to oneself
- What are the words you do not have yet? [Or, “for what do you not have words, yet?“]
- What do you need to say? [List as many things as necessary!]
- “What are the tyrannies you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will sicken and die of them, still in silence?” [List as many as necessary today.
Then write a new list tomorrow. And the day after.]
- If we have been “socialized to respect fear more than our own needs for language and definition”, ask yourself: “What’s the worst that could happen to me if I tell this truth?” [So, answer this today. And every day.]